Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Wise Wednesday

Darlings! The Baroness is on the run - Jeeves must get me to the tarmac as I fly at some completely uncivilized hour, off to the Land of One Thousand Lakes and Lutefisk. I do not know exactly what lutefisk is, but it sounds extremely full of the Na to the Cl and altogether nasty. I'll be giving it a pass, thank you very much. But please, don't let me stop you - have seconds if you'd like.

I thought it would be good manners to learn a little bit more about the fair state of MN other than it is home to The Mall of Umuur-ka. While the old me would have considered this enough, the new me is on a quest for knowledge. Here's what I know so far:

1. The shape of the state looks like Spongebob Squarepants with a bite taken out of it (no doubt from some mutant lutefisk...)
2. The name "Minnesota" is based on the Dakota Sioux word for "sky-tinted water".

3. State Motto: L'Etoile du Nord (Star of the North - too awkward for hockey team name)

4. State Fish: Walleye (this is not, apparently, an insult in Fishworld)

(note how the eye follows you everywhere)

5. State Tree: Norway Pine

(most have the initials O+L 4Ever carved into the bark; only 13 do not)

6. State Muffin: Blueberry (how can you not love that?)

7. State Flower: Ladyslipper (and we know how the Baroness feels about shoes...)
Magnifique, non?

8. State Drink: Milk ( Ho hum. I was hoping for something a little more spirited)

9. State Fruit:
(I call him "Honeycrisp Apple")






9 comments:

Mental P Mama said...

I would just go ahead and declare another state drink. Maybo one that uses a form of milk. Pina Colada? Mudslide? White Russian?

Mental P Mama said...

Oh, safe travels, too;)

Anonymous said...

Countess MPM: Thanks for the wishes - please spend a moment praying to the weather gods that a 3 hour non-stop flight is just that. And I love the White Russian idea - I will meet with state planners postehaste!

Sandi said...

I laughed out loud when I saw state fruit.

Not Afraid to Use It said...

You are hilarious!! I am related to half the state of MN (you know how those French Canadian Catholics breed). Say hello to the fam for me.

Candy said...

Do they even grow blueberries in Minnesota? What are they doing with a state muffin, for god's sake. Do all states have these??

The Guv'ner said...

Very enlightening Baroness. Care for a G&T?

I will actually be in MN myself next month, albeit briefly, and only in the airport at Minneapolis, but hey, should I meet a native I will be sure to impress them with my vast knowledge courtesy of you.

Writeprocrastinator said...

"The name "Minnesota" is based on the Dakota Sioux word for "sky-tinted water".

To wit, the Sioux always laugh because they meant "moose-tinted water." Isn't lutefisk cured with lye? Oh yeah, it is.

I love odd and freaky foods as much as the next person, if not more, but this one I'd pass on.

Anonymous said...

Countess Sandi: I know, I know. Isaiah Thomas and I will burn in hell together. But really, he is out; it's not like I started something...

Countess NATUI: Ya sure, I'll just say hey to everyone I meet - I'm bound to strike paydirt.

Countess Candy: I do not know this. I did get the info from a Minnesota State facts page - all the info on the internet is true, right? I included it because I loved the fact that someone somewhere actually made this a State muffin. Your tax dollars at work...

Guv: Guv, Guv, Guv. Always so close, yet so far. Just so we're clear - the State Fruit is officially Honeycrip, but mama like TR Knight much better.

Count WP: LYE? Yet another testment to the strong stock that is the Norweigan.

 
Blog Designed by Rita of CoffeeShop