Thursday, October 9, 2008

Thoughtful Thursday

If you had told me a year ago that I would be quoting the following source - for Thoughtful Thursday no less - I would kindly but assertively be telling you that you had bats in your belfry.

Nasty, rabid bats.

Nibbling away on your brain.

Icky, I know. But true.

It's a year later, and over the past weekend I caught the Baron watching one of his guilty pleasures DVDs. Normally, I just avert my eyes, and skitter out of the room, stat.

This time, I kind of got sucked into the vortex. Why?

Because it's a year later, and I heard that voice. Wait a minute - I recognized that voice.

It's the voice of my new favorite tv doctor, the brainiac who has usurped House in my heart.

Instead of averting my eyes, I stopped dead in my tracks, looking at the screen. I saw those deep dark eyes, and I felt the vortex making me dizzy. Or maybe it wasn't the vortex at all.

Maybe it was the essence of Kal Penn (a/k/a Kumar, a/k/a Dr. Kutner). Dude has got me all a-quiver.

Dude is hawt.

Dude is sexy - smart sexy.

So what that he's one half of the idiot duo who have been to two of the more, uh, important hotbeds of social activism - White Castle AND Guantanamo Bay? I now know that he's been carrying Harold this whole time.

Harold is, I'm afraid to say, a moron. I mean this in the least xenophobic of ways.

While I watched, mesmerized, Kumar recited the following poem, and the world around me blurred and I felt all airy and giddy; it was the seldom-verbalized mating call of the nerdy.

I stared at the screen, agape, and a-geek.

It was him and me, me and him. No one else.

It was math bliss.

It was this:

The Square Root of Three
I’m sure that I will always be
A lonely number like root three

The three is all that’s good and right,
Why must my three keep out of sight
Beneath the vicious square root sign,
I wish instead I were a nine

For nine could thwart this evil trick,
with just some quick arithmetic

I know I’ll never see the sun, as 1.7321
Such is my reality, a sad irrationality

When hark! What is this I see,
Another square root of a three

As quietly co-waltzing by,
Together now we multiply
To form a number we prefer,
Rejoicing as an integer

We break free from our mortal bonds
With the wave of magic wands

Our square root signs become unglued
Your love for me has been renewed
David Feinberg




9 comments:

Mental P Mama said...

Okay. It's too early for me to think about math. And I'm too blond. What show is this?

RiverPoet said...

So, did you watch Harold and Kumar Go to White Castle or the Gitmo one? I love the first one with the scene of the two of them riding a jaguar. Hilarious! I saw this at the movies with my men. Every now and then my intellectual brain needs a good laugh.

And the poem? I'll forward that to hubby. He'll love it.

Peace - D

Anonymous said...

Countess Mama: Kal Penn is a new regular on a medical show/dramedy called "House". As for the math poem, have some coffee, and give it another try. It's really quite lovely.

Countess D: I would like to state, for the record, that I truly only watched that one scene whilst passing through the room. Truly.

And the closest I ever got to a White Castle was dropping the men folk off in Nashville for sliders, then beating it the hell out of there. No NPH, no unicorns? I am so gone.

Anonymous said...

integer.....shmintanerjer I have been fasting all day and this is just to much for me to comprehend. I will have to read it once again after i eat something. Possibly a loaf of fresh carroway rye bread.

Anonymous said...

Poor Countess YickYack: A whole loaf? Really? Do you really want to deal with the bloat, not to mention all the seeds in your teeth?

Half a loaf - now THAT'S completely different... ;)

the redhead said...

firstly, Kumar spoke at my ex-college a couple weeks back. however, as I've transferred, I did not get to witness said occasion.

wait, actually, make that last one secondly. FIRSTLY, that bat baby picture is so disturbing. even though this is my millionth time to see it, I always have this "ah!" sort of reaction to it. I don't know why...

thirdly, that poem is lovely :)

Shelley Jaffe said...

Countess Red: Too bad about the almost-Kumar sighting!

As for BatBoy, he makes my heart go pitty pat (not in a good way). Much like my pug, he has a face only a mother could love. I'm trying.

Your enjoyment of the poem indicates your lovliness as well. Thanks for the kindness!

A Spot of T said...

See because I'm obviously a freak, when you wrote 'guilty pleasures DVD' I was thinking of something completely different. But then I saw "House" and knew. My daughter is hooked on that show and keeps telling me to watch it. I just might have to after reading this.

Anonymous said...

Countess of Tea: I urge you, just watch "House" for Kal Penn. He's charming and funny - a delightful foil to the eponymous House.

 
Blog Designed by Rita of CoffeeShop