Thursday, August 13, 2009

Thoughtful Thursday

Remember when, as a child, you sat and fidgeted during some extremely tedious and boring (to you) event, and you were admonished - "Sit still!" ?

Remember when your mom was trying to pull that sliver out of your finger when all you wanted to do was get back into the action, and she would plead, "Be still" ?

Well, according to today's TT, there was a wisdom within those words; stillness - though in short reserve these adult days - is an activity we should try to engage in with some regularity.

Brenda Ueland was quite the woman: writer, feminist, animal activist, hand-stand master.

As I sat alone in my quiet house early this morning, listening to the pug snoring on the couch, and sipping that sacred first cup of coffee, I quickly scanned the various candidates for today's post. How odd that, out of all the quotes I could have found in "The Quotable Writer", I would happen upon today's, written by an author born in the same place as my current houseguests.

Vierd, yah.

Or maybe not so weird at all.

"I learned...that inspiration does not come like a bolt, nor is it kinetic, energetic striving, but it comes into us slowly and quietly and all the time, though we must regularly and every day give it a little chance to start flowing, prime it with a little solitude and idleness.
Brenda Ueland



7 comments:

Mental P Mama said...

So, so true.

Noe Noe Girl...A Queen of all Trades. said...

I am going to remember that.

Unknown said...

I wrote that down and stuck it on the fridge where I can read it every morning.

Daryl said...

Words to sip by

Driftwood and Pumpkin said...

I feel like I am the opposite. I feel like my inspiration is like a flash of lightning. But then again, maybe it just festers in the black hole of my mind and then rears its ugly head.

Not Afraid to Use It said...

Great, great quote. I don't think one misses the peace and quiet until it is impossible to have any.

abb said...

Words aren't reaching me of late...need to get back to registering them. Discombobulation reigns supreme, me thinks. (sigh)

 
Blog Designed by Rita of CoffeeShop