Thursday, February 14, 2008

Thoughtful Thursday

The Baroness' good friend, Countess KR (also know as the Soup Angel, and the Book Pusher) has been trying in vain to get me to give author Jennifer Weiner another chance. I've read one of her books (Good in Bed), and while it was very well-written, it just wasn't my cup of tea. Sorry, Book Pusher.

However, there is a movie based on one of Jennifer Weiners's books - "In Her Shoes" - that appeals to the Baroness on all sorts of levels. It's title itself. Hell-oooo? Shoes. We're off to a good start (as a quick aside here, the silver shoes I wrote about here? I wore them to a wedding reception on the weekend, and they hurt so much, they almost made me cry. What price vanity, indeed.) Back to the movie. Sisters, a peachy grandma, cute little Jewish men - all topics near and dear to the Baroness' heart.

Today's Thoughtful Thursday piece comes to you from a poem by e.e. cummings, read during the marriage scene in the movie. It's such a lovely, kleenex-grabbing moment, rife with emotion and love - the look of adoration on the groom's face as his bride walks down the aisle, the bond between sisters, but most important to me - the younger dyslexic sister reads! Very, very exciting. So, dear readers, my Valentine to you - may you day be filled with love, chocolate, and most importantly - laughter.

i carry your heart with me
i carry your heart with me (i carry it in
my heart) i am never without it (anywhere
i go you go, my dear; and whatever is done
by only me is your doing, my darling)
i fear
no fate (for you are my fate, my sweet) i want
no world(for beautiful you are my world, my true)
and it's you are whatever a moon has always meant
and whatever a sun will always sing is you

here is the deepest secret nobody knows
(here is the root of the root and the bud of the bud
and the sky of the sky of a tree called life; which grows
higher than the soul can hope or the mind can hide)
and this is the wonder that's keeping the stars apart

i carry your heart(i carry it in my heart)
e.e. cummings



6 comments:

Amber said...

Happy Valentines day to you! I loved the poem, very very sweet. By the way, you always feel me with laughter!

Lisa said...

I loved that book, the movie and the poem. Happy Valentine's Day Baronness .... hope your day is filled with hearts, love and laughter! ... Barbra Peapod

Bogart said...

Thanks for sharing the poem...enjoyed it very much.

Anonymous said...

In Her Shoes was one of those light lazy Saturday afternoon movies to watch. Much like the book.
Shoes are the best clothing item to shop for. They just don't make you feel bad about your body like other clothing can.

Not Afraid to Use It said...

I will have to add this to my reading list--for the day when I am actually allowed to read. LOL

Shelley Jaffe said...

Countess Scarlett: You, er, "feel" me with laughter, too, sunshine. Every. Dang. Day.

Countess Babs: Back atcha. Is this the day you belt out "And I-i-i-i-i ay-i-i-i-i I-i-i-i will always love-ah youuuuuuuuuu"?

Count Bogart: Greetings and salutations! Glad you liked it.

Countess SRU: You had me at "shoes". Against convention, I believe that you should always assemble your wardrobe from the ground up. Glad to hear we share that philosophy.

Countess NATUI: What? Not allowed to read? Girl, you need to find some sanctuary somewhere (and bring
lots of reading material...). The bathroom used to work for me. You know, if you did move into a double wide, there's lots of room underneath for a secret reading hideout. :)

 
Blog Designed by Rita of CoffeeShop