Thursday, October 2, 2008

Thoughtful Thursday

Over the past few days, every time I open my fridge, I see them.

Staring at me from the bottle of Family Recipe Italian Dressing.

Those blue, blue eyes of Mr. Paul Newman.

And I am blue, blue, too.

Let me just say this up front - even in his later years, the guy was hot.

And for me, at least, it wasn't his looks. It was his spirit. His humility. His humanity over and above the facade of the industry that was merely a means to an end.

If you go to the Newman's Own webpage, there is a picture of him looking on as some kids are frolicking around him. This is not some stage-y publicity shot. This is the true essence of who he was.

I have it on good authority (from my salad dressing) that since 1982, Paul Newman and Newman's Own Foundation have given over $200 Million to charity. One of his favorites was Hole In the Wall Camps, for children with serious illnesses.

And I end today's Thoughtful Thursday with his simple quote on philanthropy:

"You can only put away so much stuff in your closet"






7 comments:

Mental P Mama said...

You know, I lived in Westport a long time before moving 2 miles down the road to the next town. I used to see him a lot. He was lovely, and you'd see the eyes before anything else. One of the most unpretentious people I ever encountered here in Fairfield County, and that's saying a bunch.

Anonymous said...

That was nice. I'm sad his book ended too. Some good-bye's are more difficult than others.

Very nice...

Driftwood and Pumpkin said...

It is sad when we lose a hunk, er, i mean a philanthropist like Paul. And the quote is perfect for me today. i just cleaned out my closet and got rid of HALF! What an airy feeling to be rid of all the extras!

RiverPoet said...

There was so much I liked about him. His acting was one thing, the obvious thing, but the fact that he generated hundreds of millions of dollars for charity through his Newman's Own company, the Hole in the Wall Camps, as you say, and the fact that he was married to his wife for so many years...that says a lot about his character. Being married for that long is not easy. There is no secret except plain hard work and mutual respect. He was one of a kind.

And yes, he was hot.

Peace - D

Cormac Brown said...

"You can only put away so much stuff in your closet"

So sayeth Fibber McGee and Molly.

Anonymous said...

Count Cormac: Dude, this is supposed to be where I, The Baroness, provide points to ponder.

Your Fibber McGee & Molly reference sent me screaming like a little girl clutching my basket of ingornace and running down the path to Wikipedia.

And thanks to you, kind sir, I learned a little sumthin' myself.

This has been a good Thursday.

Anonymous said...

Yuh, I'm so ingornant I can't even spell "ignorance" right.

Goodnight, Gracie!

 
Blog Designed by Rita of CoffeeShop