Thursday, March 26, 2009

Thoughtful Thursday

...I'm moaning all the morning
and mourning all the night
And in between it's nicotine
And not much heart to fight
Black coffee
Feelin' low as the ground
It's driving me crazy just waiting for my baby
To maybe come around... around
I'm waiting for my baby
To maybe come around...
"Black Coffee", Sonny Burke & Paul Francis Webster

By "moaning", here I'm referring to my morning Serengeti-ish growl waiting for the kettle to boil (yeah, I kick my coffee old school - french press, baby).

And the "driving me crazy waiting for my baby to maybe come around"?

Well, I'm hoping that one day, my dream of having a personal barrista arriving on my doorstep will come true. Preferably at about 6:45 am, Monday to Friday; 8:00 am, weekends.

So what is all this talk of java?

Joe?

1,3,7-trimethylxanthine?

Primarily, none of the vonB magic would never occur without the aid of this stimulant. There would be no "Thoughtful" in Thursday or any other day of the week if I did not have that oil to grease the cogs.

Because I am SO not a morning person. Nor a night owl.

I'm kind of a early-to-mid-afternoon chick. After 4:30, it's all downhill (I blame this on my prairie upbringing - I think there's a dormant farmer gene there somewhere)(although getting up at 6:45 would make me a pretty crappy farmer...).

I digress.

My dear friend Asthma Girl asked her readers to engage in a Starbucks Coffee challenge. It seems that her local coffeteria is all hot to trot about their new instant coffee line, "VIA", and have been haranguing her every time she sets foot in the door to get her oatmeal fix.

She finally caved, and has enlisted her troops to go a blog-wide taste test. Go to her site here to be directed to various opinions. Here is mine (plus a treat at the end):

**************
Hello, Rome? Stick to Pasta.
It is rather appropriate that one of the meanings of VIA means "through". Because, not unlike being relieved that I am through drinking the imaging barium I have to take for periodic CAT scans, I am very glad that I am through tasting this sludge that Starbucks is passing off as coffee. It is the coffee monopoly's equivalent of a McRib.

You know that sound you hear, that whoosh when you open a new package of vacuum-packed coffee? The one that kind of ensures that there is a modicum of freshness happening?

Yeah, this is not happening when I open my little single-serving of Starbuck's new VIA coffee.

I've been fortunate enough to receive two packets to try. One will be used in the critical first cup of the day, the other for a mid-day pick me up.

I have to say up front that, being from the Pacific Northwest, I'm a bit of a coffee snob.

So coming into this challenge, I already had a bias against the touted "Italian Roast" VIA. One, because it's instant. And two? Because it's instant.

Even with the warmed milk to help bring it to another level, VIA only managed to get from the sub-basement to the ground floor. Barely.

There was an odd, smoky flavour which lingered at the back of my tongue and wouldn't go away. Ich. Not an auspicious beginning.

It was not much better the following afternoon. As a caffiene delivery system, I suppose it is adequate.

As a well-rounded, enjoyable cup of coffee, I'd have to say "Arrivederci, Roma".

VIA: Veiled in Ashes.
*************************************





Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

So much better than "it was fine" or "not my cup of tea"! Neither of which I expected from you!

Thanks for being one of my tasters! I assume it's suitable for a hike where TOG will not allow me to bring my french press?

Shelley said...

Countess AG: I think not. Stick with Folgers; it's cheaper. Better yet, I'll bring you some instant espresso powder I found. Much more palatable, IMHO.

Damn Starbucks with their convenience, though. Those little packets are pretty attractive.

Not Afraid to Use It said...

You are a hoot! I hope you are more forgiving if I ever get the chance to make coffee for you. According to my MIL I suck at it. Hubbie doesn't seem to mind. A girlfriend just brought me some back from Hawai'i. Good God it is divine!

Mental P Mama said...

I hope the coffee in Virginia is up to your standards;)

Anonymous said...

Countess NATUI: Ooh, some of the best coffee I ever had was from this little shop in Maui! I'll send you the link, so you can replenish your supply.

Countess Mama: I think that good company also makes for great coffee - it will be divine in VA!

Lisa said...

Blech! Instant morning beverage can hardly even be called coffee. Completely disgusting.

On another note, I'm surprised your not a night person. Not sure why I would have guessed you to be nocturnal, but meh ... oh well. I'm one of those non-sleepers who is both a morning AND a night person. That is, perhaps, why my coffee is so important to me!! ... babspeapod

Shelley Jaffe said...

Countess Babs: Amen to the instant coffee slam! You can't trap lightening in a bottle. As for the night owl thing, don't be surprised. In the sleep department, you and I are at opposite ends of the spectrum - I think if we ever meet, it will have to be brunch!

 
Blog Designed by Rita of CoffeeShop