Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Wanderlust Wednesday

Whenever the Baron and I are en vacance, we usually try to blend in as much as possible with the locals.

Because nothing is more tragic or stereotypical than the slack-jawed tourista.

Unless, of course, you want to play that role.

Not that there's anything wrong with it.

It's just not my scene.

The backwoods wonderment is never any more evident than when one is taking pictures.

Which is why, without exception, the Baron and I try to have at least one photoessay per trip of pictures of people taking pictures.

And there are some lulus.

Take this series.

I like to call it, "Hawaii 5-Oh: Why, Ki Ki?"

Photo 1
"Let us partake to the sandy area in our black socks and sneakers, and purvey the vista for the best shot. The water? The sailboats? I'll stay here - you walk a little further down to seek inspiration, and I'll admire the jaunty buttless wonder that is you."

Photo 2
"That's it. Shake what your mama gave you."
"Look over your shoulder at me.."


"Make me buy what you're sellin'..."

"You're still in the running to becoming America's Next Top Model..."

Photo 3
"An-n-n-nd now you're back."

"Your what? Your motivation? Hoo boy."

"You're King Kamehaha, baby."

"."You're so owning this beach- you discovered it, you're claiming it."

"Every grain of sand - it's yours. Any woman lying here? She's yours."

"You. Are. Raw. Sinewy. Power."

"Uh, could you move your left leg just a litt-t-t-tle more to the side?

The glare off of it is messing up my shot."


Photo 4
"Oh, yeah. That's it. Smile."

"Smile some more."
"More teeth, less thigh."

"Perfect!"


And...I'm spent.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Reasons to avoid Waikiki, Dimondhead, maybe even all of Hawaii for weeks surrounding any major Japanese holidays...

I will never forget the trash bags flapping in the wind, the fingers wildly flashing peace signs and the hundreds of people clamoring up the slickrock trail to Dimondhead the last time I confused a vacation with cultural immersion.

Driftwood and Pumpkin said...

Oh. My. God. In. Heaven.

That's all I got.

BTW, I love you.

Chesapeake Bay Woman said...

That last photo? The stud in white being photographed? That's Uncle Tim, isn't it?

If not, it's his long lost twin brother.

EXCELLENT filming and narration of the local wildlife.

Not Afraid to Use It said...

Hey now. Don't dis the black socks/sneaker/sandal combo. A Swede might feel offended. :)

Noe Noe Girl...A Queen of all Trades. said...

Lawd I hope we Blisters dont act like that when we get to NYC next month!
<><

Mental P Mama said...

Hawaii is looking pretty good to this old gal today!

Shelley said...

Countess Ti: I don't think it has to be a holiday in Japan - they are there in droves, every time we are.

Countess of the Back Nine: I know, right? So white. So wrong.

BTW? Love you back.

Countess CBW: If it were Uncle Tim, he'd be red and splotchy from falling asleep (?) in the ozone-free area of Waikiki Beach.

I'd be careful with my comparisons if I were you - such besmirchment on the Japanese might lead to disaster.

Countess NATUI: Don't get your black socks up in a knot. It's not like I was talking about you.

Countess NNG: What? When? Why?

Countess MPM: Mai Tai's on the lanai, tomorrow at 5 - you there?

Cormac Brown said...

Ha-hah!

Shelley said...

Count Cormac: I know, right? Although I hear this is how Lord Snowdon got his first big break...

Diane said...

Priceless!

Shelley said...

Countess Diane: And the fact that I could bear witness to all of this - serendipitous!

formerly fun said...

Hubs and I always get at least one picture of people taking pictures and we have some dosies but yours, alas, takes the cake. I love it, it's awful, and perfect.

Shelley Jaffe said...

Countess FF: Pictures of people taking pictures have to be some of the best holiday photos ever. Glad to see someone who shares my interest in the odd.

 
Blog Designed by Rita of CoffeeShop