Monday, March 1, 2010

Hey, Joe - Me, Too!!

Oh, my.

Amid the giant inflatable Mounties (out of the gutter, you), the flying beavers (yah, I'm talking to you. Out!!), the wafting Mooses, the birch bark canoes and the oh-so-saucy lumberjacks and the serial fiance known here as Buble (spat out like 'Newman' in Seinfeld...)...

...I could not have been prouder to be a Canadian than during the closing ceremonies of the 2010 Winter Olympics. (well, except for the Nickelback and Avril Lavigne part - I proudly voted for the pickle on facebook...)

My surging patriotism, and the always wry 'William-call-me-Bill' Shatner, reminded me of this old chestnut that-in its heyday-ran on TV about a jillion times a day (a jillion and 30 times in Newfoundland).

While kind of hackneyed, still true.

And on a day when I'm kind of blue to take down the red and white, this prolongs the ending just a little bit longer.

(oh my gawd - are you STILL curbside? Don't even go there with the 'that's what she said' thing).

Long before there was Joe the Plumber, there was:

Joe the Canadian:

Hey,

I'm not a lumberjack, or a fur trader....
I don't live in an igloo or eat blubber, or own a dogsled....
and I don't know Jimmy, Sally or Suzy from Canada,
although I'm certain they're really really nice.

I have a Prime Minister, not a president.
I speak English and French, not American.
And I pronounce it 'about', not 'a boot'.

I can proudly sew my country's flag on my backpack.
I believe in peace keeping, not policing,
diversity, not assimilation,
and that the beaver is a truly proud and noble animal.
A toque is a hat, a chesterfield is a couch,
and it is pronounced 'zed' not 'zee', 'zed' !!!!

Canada is the second largest landmass!
The first nation of hockey!
and the best part of North America

My name is Joe!!
And I am Canadian!!!



3 comments:

Driftwood and Pumpkin said...

You all even heard of Joe the Plumber up there in the land of red and white?

;0)

I jest.

Congrats on the hockey gold (she says reluctanly).

foolery said...

Was there some sort of...game...this weekend?

wink wink

Love,

Foolery [waving from the gutter with one foot and a tongue firmly planted in the fleshy cheeky part of my mouth, drinking a Molson]

Shelley said...

Countess TNA: Aw, hon. Thank you. I know how tough a win that was. And considering how much closer we are to Alaska than you - of COURSE I've heard of Joe the Plumber! Sheesh - do you think we don't get radio reception up here??

Countess F: And here I am, face down in the gutter, having drank my obligatory 1/2 Molson (I am a cheap drunk, waving back!

 
Blog Designed by Rita of CoffeeShop